Friday, April 25, 2014

Just I.

 So many were trying just to survive. 
I wanted to thrive. 
Take this world by a storm. 
I knew I could but I had no plan.
 No savings. 
No financial bearings. 
I entered this world. 
A new beginning. 
Not understanding I stepped out into this chaos called reality.

So many were trying to find food. 
While We ate Our fill and spoke of ways to lose the calories.
 To the extent that TV shows existed which focused on who can lose the most weight. 
While We gained weight watching the shows. 
We worried about bikini bodies and jean sizes while they starved. 
Paid out money for weight loss surgery.
But had nothing to give the poor.

So many needed shelter. 
A home to keep their children safe. 
I would walk into a strangers home and be surrounded by wealth. 
Their designer clothing. 
Their designer friends. 
Their designer food.
And I wondered if maybe they had room in their vacation home for those who needed shelter. 
Probably not.

So many needed basic human rights. 
While We screamed about sexism in the work place. 
And who reserves the right to decide if a woman kills her child? 
And do we really think it is fair to be punished for our crimes?
Even when We know We are guilty.
While They were beat in the streets. 
Nobody blinked.

So many were under the communistic thumb. 
While Our freedom started to drain.
We rushed to hand over our rights to arms. 
Pretending We knew what We were doing. 
Pretending the bad guys don't get the guns.
We will be safer this way.
That's what We said.
We forgot how to think for ourselves.
To understand the consequences of Our actions.
We let history repeat itself.

So it was that I came to realize. 
I am not part of We. 
I am just I.
 Still coming out of the womb screaming and kicking into a mess of idiots and contradictions. 
Alone.
I know that a new We can exist.
I hope I find you somewhere in this storm.
And we can start the new We.
A new world.

3 comments:

  1. This, and the tree post, are my favorite posts! I agree!
    We need to take action, be something, say something, do something, or else we won't have anything and we will only have ourselves to blame.

    <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete