Saturday, March 15, 2014

Bridges

A friend recently said "I've looked at your blog and you have not written in 8 months....I would like some new reading material." This struck me as wonderful and I vowed to begin writing more often. So Ashley here is some new reading material <3 
(Please see Ashley's great blog A Whisper in the Wind). 


Bridges

Lately I have been thinking of the bridges I've burned (intentionally or not)
Through the ashes of memory I sift 
Half remembered phone numbers
Passionate discussions 
Dive bars 
Unending arguments 
Half hearted C chords
A scrap of late night dinners
The bridges led to so many different people, places, and times. . .
Some just stopped like a dead end
There was no warning sign along the way
Some crumbled slowly 
Old and not properly maintained 
Others ignited 
Burning hot and painful
And a few remain in the purgatory of bridges
. . . Rope and wood swinging precariously in the wind. . .
Do you take the risk and try to cross it
Do you even reach out to touch it 
Lest it crash into the waters below
Robbing you of your last bit of stability
Or sanity
Most of the bridges I yearn to forget
Others I hope to rebuild 
Yet I wonder why
Why rebuild now when I have strong foundations and support
Is there some gold on the other side
Paradise lost
Even if there was does any of it matter now
I think not
So I move forward into better waters
Yet I cannot shake the fear
The shadow that slithers into my conscious 
Whispering
What if I ruined all these bridges
Myself a master of destruction
A tornado
A hurricane
Sweeping the bridges into the deep waters
There is something inside that insists
Persists
Intention or not you destroyed the lot
And I pray that it is false
Yet I continue not knowing
Never knowing
Bridge by bridge I cross
Holding my breath
For more ashes would turn this memory pit into a graveyard

2 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful and wonderful. Bridges are easily burned, and sometimes we do them without thinking. Ignorance and spite can burn bridges like wild fire.

    Some bridges, I think, need to be burned. People can be toxic to us. If a person or thing is toxic to our soul and mental or physical well-being, then it needs to be burned. However, people always have ways of unintentionally growing apart. We move in different directions because life is never easy or peaceful. Taking us up in the wind we fly around wildly.

    I love you so much, and am glad you have started writing again. I think it is good for the soul... Regardless, what harm could a few penned words ever do?

    That question might be a play on words, just like burnt bridges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you insight Ashley thank you so much for the response and for reading! I agree some bridges should never be rebuilt or sought after....it can be a rough reality but still a reality all the same <3

    ReplyDelete